[Rushtalk] Elementary Catechism on the Constitution of the United States (1828)

Carl Spitzer winblows at lavabit.com
Sat Jul 6 19:48:39 MDT 2013

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Jon Roland <jon.roland at constitution.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 08:41:56 -0500

We have added an interesting short book used to teach students in the
early republic. It is Elementary Catechism on the Constitution of the
United States, by Arthur J. Stansbury, published in 1828. We have it in
two formats:

HTML
PDF

It is not perfect. For example, it erroneously teaches that private
parties are forbidden to mint money, whereas only states are forbidden
from doing so. It should not be taken as legally authoritative, but as
an illustration of how the Constitution was taught in that era. You are
invited to compare it to the way the Constitution is being taught today.

-- Jon

Constitution Society               http://constitution.org
2900 W Anderson Ln C-200-322           twitter.com/lex_rex
Austin, TX 78757 512/299-5001  jon.roland at constitution.org