Stupid liberals in Oregon shows Portland officer the door, won't sell him coffee again

Carl Spitzer WinBlows at LAVABIT.COM
Tue Jul 20 20:06:32 MDT 2010

Red & Black cafe shows Portland officer the door, won't sell him coffee
again

By Lynne Terry, The Oregonian

June 03, 2010, 3:41PM

james crookerView full sizeKimberly A.C. Wilson/The Oregonian Officer
James Crooker working the Rose Festival this afternoon.
In mid-May, Portland police Officer James Crooker  went to Southeast
Portland on a patrol call. With a few minutes to spare, he decided to
get a coffee.

So, he popped into theRed & Black  cafe on Southeast 12th Avenue near
Oak Street, bought a coffee and was heading out when a customer
approached him, saying she appreciates the hard job that police officers
do every day in Portland.

One of the co-owners of the cafe, John Langley,  has another point of
view. While the officer and customer were chatting, he walked up and
asked Crooker to leave, saying he felt uncomfortable having a uniformed
officer in the vegan cafe.

The incident, which was brief, speaks volumes about the tensions between
Portland police and some members of the community who are more worried
about police shootings than protection.

Crooker said he was surprised to be shown the door but left immediately.
He said this marked a first during his nine-year in law enforcement, two
in Portland and seven in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

"The places that I've been kicked out of before have been places like
the methadone clinic," he said. "I've never been kicked out of a regular
cafe."

But the 36-year-old officer, who was born and raised in Portland, said
it's all part of working this city's streets in a uniform.

"We have a unique relationship with the community," he said. "You're
there to protect them but on the other hand they don't know what that
involves. Being gracious is part of it."

A former Marine who served in Iraq, Crooker didn't take the incident to
heart.

"It was not personal," he said. "He was being hostile to my uniform," he
said.

Langley, who did not raise his voice during the encounter, agreed.

"It's not about the police," Langley said. "It's about what the police
represent to many people who frequent the cafe.

The cafe draws vegans -- of course -- along with homeless people and
animal-rights and environmental activists who Langley said have been
targets of police abuse and harassment.

But the cafe also draws customers like Cornelia Seigneur,  who blogged
about the incident on her website.

Seigneur, a freelancer for The Oregonian who was enjoying lunch with her
daughter on May 18 when Crooker came in, was the one who approached
him.

"There have been some unfortunate situations recently," Seigneur said.
"But overall the police are out there day in and day out protecting
us."

She said she struck up a conversation with Crooker to show her support
for police, who she said saved the life of a friend after he was shot by
gang members.

When Langley asked Crooker to leave, she was startled.

"It was shocking," Seigneur said. "Everyone deserves to have a coffee,
and he was served a coffee. It was humiliating."

She said there were only about three other people in the cafe and that
no else seemed to notice the officer.

But the incident has fired a reaction, with dozens of comments pouring
into Seigneur's website.

It's been so overwhelming that she took the blog post down but put it
back up Thursday afternoon.

The cafe, too, has received a deluge of calls, with about half
supporting the cafe and the rest expressing anger.

"We've received threats," Langley said. "People have threatened to
attack us and break our windows."

Still, he has no regrets.

"I never expected a police officer to come into the space," he said. "If
it happened again, I wouldn't serve him."