Would we had such men in office

Carl Spitzer cwsiv_2nd at HOTPOP.COM
Sat May 24 15:36:07 MDT 2008

 "It is to be remarked that the [presidential] power in this case will
 not consist so much in continuing a bad man in office, as in the
 danger of displacing a good one.  Perhaps the great danger, as has been
 observed, of abuse in the executive power, lies in the improper
 continuance of bad men in office.

 "But the power we contend for will not enable him to do this; for if an
 unworthy man be continued in office by an unworthy president, the
 house of representatives can at any time impeach him, and the senate
 can remove him, whether the president chuses or not.

 "The danger then consists merely in this: the president can
 displace from office a man whose merits require that he should be
 continued in it.  What will be the motives which the president
 can feel for such abuse of his power, and the restraints that
 operate to prevent it?  In the first place, he will be
 im-peachable by this house, before the senate, for such an act of
 mal-administration; for I contend that the wanton removal of
 meritorious officers would subject him to impeachment and removal
 from his own high trust."

 - James Madison, speaking to the U.S. Congress about presidential
   power, June 16 1789.

   [http://www.constitution.org/jm/17890616_removal.htm]

    Submitted by: Cos
                  Mar. 27, 2007