The Sky *ISN'T* Falling, After All!

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Wed May 14 00:43:31 MDT 2008

/*[I love reading things like this.........more ammo in the arguments
for _OUR_ side! - JAQ]*/

Print This Article <http://www.charlotte.com/409/v-print/story/617920.html#>
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Posted on Sat, May. 10, 2008

  False prophets of doom

    WALTER WILLIAMS

Now that another Earth Day has come and gone, let's look at some
environmentalist predictions that they would prefer we forget.

At the first Earth Day celebration, in 1969, environmentalist Nigel
Calder warned, "The threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside
nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery for
mankind." C.C. Wallen of the World Meteorological Organization said,
"The cooling since 1940 has been large enough and consistent enough that
it will not soon be reversed."

In 1968, Paul Ehrlich, Vice President Gore's hero and mentor, predicted
there would be a major food shortage in the U.S. and "in the 1970s ...
hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death." Ehrlich
said 65 million Americans would die of starvation between 1980 and 1989,
and by 1999 the U.S. population would have declined to 22.6 million.
Ehrlich's predictions about England were gloomier: "If I were a gambler,
I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000."

*World `likely to be ruined' by 2000*

In 1972, a report was written for the Club of Rome warning the world
would run out of gold by 1981, mercury and silver by 1985, tin by 1987
and petroleum, copper, lead and natural gas by 1992. Gordon Taylor, in
his 1970 work "The Doomsday Book," said Americans were using 50 percent
of the world's resources and "by 2000 they [Americans] will, if
permitted, be using all of them." In 1975, the Environmental Fund took
out full-page ads warning, "The World as we know it will likely be
ruined by the year 2000."Harvard University biologist George Wald in
1970 warned, "... civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless
immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind." That was the
same year that Sen. Gaylord Nelson warned, in Look Magazine, that by
1995 "... somewhere between 75 and 85 percent of all the species of
living animals will be extinct."

It's not just latter-day doomsayers who have been wrong; doomsayers have
always been wrong. In 1885, the U.S. Geological Survey announced there
was "little or no chance" of oil being discovered in California, and a
few years later they said the same about Kansas and Texas. In 1939, the
U.S. Department of the Interior said American oil supplies would last
only another 13 years. In 1949, the Secretary of the Interior said the
end of U.S. oil supplies was in sight. Having learned nothing from its
earlier erroneous claims, in 1974 the U.S. Geological Survey advised us
that the U.S. had only a 10-year supply of natural gas. According to the
American Gas Association, there's a /*1,000 to 2,500 year supply!*/

Here are my questions: In 1970, when environmentalists were making
predictions of manmade global cooling and the threat of an ice age and
millions of Americans starving to death, what kind of government policy
should we have undertaken to prevent such a calamity?

When Ehrlich predicted that England would not exist in the year 2000,
what steps should the British Parliament have taken in 1970 to prevent
such a dire outcome?

In 1939, when the U.S. Department of the Interior warned that we only
had oil supplies for another 13 years, what actions should President
Roosevelt have taken?

*Why believe them this time?*

Finally, what makes us think that environmental alarmism is any more
correct now that they have switched their tune to manmade global warming?

A few facts: Over 95 percent of the greenhouse effect is the result of
water vapor in Earth's atmosphere. Without the greenhouse effect,
Earth's average temperature would be zero degrees Fahrenheit. Most
climate change is a result of the orbital eccentricities of Earth and
variations in the sun's output. And natural wetlands produce more
greenhouse gas annually than all human sources combined.

*Dr. Walter Williams*