Moveon is crapping their pants

Jose Rojas jrojas at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Aug 30 22:01:46 MDT 2008

Forwarded by a friend.

It is funny how some of these "facts" can be countered with "and Barak's
experience is?"

===========================

Dear MoveOn member,

Yesterday was John McCain's 72nd birthday. If elected, he'd be the oldest
president ever inaugurated. And after months of slamming Barack Obama for
"inexperience," here's who John McCain has chosen to be one heartbeat away
from the presidency: a right-wing religious conservative with no foreign
policy experience, who until recently was mayor of a town of 9,000 people.

Huh?

Who is Sarah Palin? Here's some basic background:

*	She was elected Alaska 's governor a little over a year and a half
ago. Her previous office was mayor of Wasilla, a small town outside
Anchorage. She has no foreign policy experience.1
*	Palin is strongly anti-choice, opposing abortion even in the case of
rape or incest.2
*	She supported right-wing extremist Pat Buchanan for president in
2000. 3
*	Palin thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.4
*	She's doesn't think humans are the cause of climate change.5
*	She's solidly in line with John McCain's "Big Oil first" energy
policy. She's pushed hard for more oil drilling and says renewables won't be
ready for years. She also sued the Bush administration for listing polar
bears as an endangered species-she was worried it would interfere with more
oil drilling in Alaska.6
*	How closely did John McCain vet this choice? He met Sarah Palin once
at a meeting. They spoke a second time, last Sunday, when he called her
about being vice-president. Then he offered her the position.7

This is information the American people need to see. Please take a moment to
forward this email to your friends and family.

We also asked Alaska MoveOn members what the rest of us should know about
their governor. The response was striking. Here's a sample:

She is really just a mayor from a small town outside Anchorage who has been
a governor for only 1.5 years, and has ZERO national and international
experience. I shudder to think that she could be the person taking that 3AM
call on the White House hotline, and the one who could potentially be
charged with leading the US in the volatile international scene that exists
today. -Rose M., Fairbanks, AK

She is VERY, VERY conservative, and far from perfect. She's a hunter and
fisherwoman, but votes against the environment again and again. She ran on
ethics reform, but is currently under investigation for several charges
involving hiring and firing of state officials. She has NO experience beyond
Alaska. -Christine B., Denali Park, AK

As an Alaskan and a feminist, I am beyond words at this announcement. Palin
is not a feminist, and she is not the reformer she claims to be. -Karen L.,
Anchorage, AK

Alaskans, collectively, are just as stunned as the rest of the nation. She
is doing well running our State, but is totally inexperienced on the
national level, and very much unequipped to run the nation, if it came to
that. She is as far right as one can get, which has already been
communicated on the news. In our office of thirty employees (dems,
republicans, and nonpartisans), not one person feels she is ready for the
V.P. position.-Sherry C., Anchorage, AK

She's vehemently anti-choice and doesn't care about protecting our natural
resources, even though she has worked as a fisherman. McCain chose her to
pick up the Hillary voters, but Palin is no Hillary. -Marina L., Juneau, AK

I think she's far too inexperienced to be in this position. I'm all for a
woman in the White House, but not one who hasn't done anything to deserve
it. There are far many other women who have worked their way up and have
much more experience that would have been better choices. This is a
patronizing decision on John McCain's part- and insulting to females
everywhere that he would assume he'll get our vote by putting "A Woman" in
that position.-Jennifer M., Anchorage, AK

So Governor Palin is a staunch anti-choice religious conservative. She's a
global warming denier who shares John McCain's commitment to Big Oil. And
she's dramatically inexperienced.

In picking Sarah Palin, John McCain has made the religious right very happy.
And he's made a very dangerous decision for our country.

In the next few days, many Americans will be wondering what McCain's
vice-presidential choice means. Please pass this information along to your
friends and family.

Thanks for all you do.

-Ilyse, Noah, Justin, Karin and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "Sarah Palin," Wikipedia <http://www.wikipedia.org/> , Accessed August
29, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

2. "McCain Selects Anti-Choice Sarah Palin as Running Mate," NARAL
Pro-Choice America, August 29, 2008
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17515
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17515&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=1>
&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=1

3. "Sarah Palin, Buchananite," The Nation, August 29, 2008
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17736
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17736&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=2>
&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=2

4. "'Creation science' enters the race," Anchorage Daily News, October 27,
2006
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17737
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17737&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=3>
&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=3

5. "Palin buys climate denial PR spin-ignores science," Huffington Post,
August 29, 2008
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17517
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17517&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=4>
&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=4

6. "McCain VP Pick Completes Shift to Bush Energy Policy," Sierra Club,
August 29, 2008
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17518
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17518&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=5>
&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=5

"Choice of Palin Promises Failed Energy Policies of the Past," League of
Conservation Voters, August 29, 2008
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17519
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17519&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=6>
&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=6

"Protecting polar bears gets in way of drilling for oil, says governor," The
Times of London, May 23, 2008
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17520
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17520&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=7>
&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=7

7 "McCain met Palin once before yesterday," MSNBC
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/> , August 29, 2008
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=21119
<http://www.moveon.org/r?r=21119&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=8>
&id=13661-9405635-lwVul.x&t=8