The Smart Car

Thomas Matiska tom.matiska at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 18 17:05:29 MDT 2008

Agree we need to drill, but the problem  now is the drilling we didn't do ten years ago.   Today's problems have been years in the making, and until the drilling we're talking about bears fruit we're stuck with a bad supply vs demand curve.

The drilling doesn't just need to be for oil either.  The 60's vintage oil burner in my last house was burning 1000+ gallons a year.  I switched to gas that is drilled for right here in PA. My current house uses local  anthracite coal.   Our local nuke plant at Berwick is starting construction on a third reactor(first new one since TMI).  Imagine what the price of diesel might be if a few million homes in the northeast kicked their oil habit. in favor of gas, coal or nuke power .....

I think of oil as a transportation fuel that should not be wasted as a bulk BTU source  when there are so many domestic alternatives.

Tom

-------------- Original message from "John A. Quayle" <blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET>: --------------

Thomas Matiska wrote:
Commuter only?.....Actual owners consider the Smartie road worthy enough that the biggest complaint is the lack of cruise control... so they can't be too shy of taking it on the highway. Small?.....     Tall people do wish a tilt wheel made entry/exit easier, but no complaints of head/leg room from anybody 6'4" or less once they are seated. Limited market?....Enough folks want it that the 7-9 month waiting(as of May) list is now 14-17 months. ... order your 2010 now....

Junk in a few years?.....many made the last 8 years have their clocks turned over multiple times. Used ones sell on EBay for more than list, not exactly the depreciation rate of your average family size vehicle. We import a little more than half our oil, and I've just cut my share.... how are you cutting yours?
       By getting jumpin' ugly with my elected reps over recovery of domestic crude!!! We have so much crude oil that we haven't tapped into yet, it coming out of our ears. There was a recent strike in North Dakota and Montana - it's called the Bakken Formation  - apparently contains 503 billion barrels of light crude. It's the largest strike in American history, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The company that owns the drilling rights is Western Standard Energy. Google it for yourselves! Couple that with the oil on the north slope of Alaska, and the shale oil in several states in the west, we can thumb our noses at Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Mexico,Venezuela, and everybody else!

John Q.

Tom

.

-------------- Original message from Ernie Lane <ernielane at VERIZON.NET>: --------------