Real Chutzpah!

Ernie Lane ernielane at VERIZON.NET
Sat Aug 16 16:15:54 MDT 2008

John A. Quayle wrote:
> *
>

>       Parents Sue Philadelphia for Letting Them Kill Their Child
>
> The abdication of individual responsibility, along with the chutzpah and
> greed that drive our legal system to ever new extremes of absurdity, may
> have reached a climax in Philadelphia, where parents have filed a suit
> against the city for letting them kill their child
> <http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/26945269.html>:
>
>     After allegedly starving their disabled daughter to death, the
>     parents of Danieal Kelly turned around and sued the city for failing
>     to protect the girl from them.

This is _exactly_ why we need a loser-pays system for torts.

This reminds me of that $225 million or so that lady is suing NASCAR for
because of sexual harassment or whatever -- certainly, whether or not
there was sexual harassment, this figure is ridiclous.  Even with loser
pays, you should only be able to sue for actual damages -- and I'm not
sure there are even any here.