Fwd: Tyson Foods Reinstates Labor Day!

Steven Laib stevenlaib at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sat Aug 9 16:31:50 MDT 2008

At 03:32 PM 8/9/2008, Dennis Putnam wrote:

>Its not a band wagon is it a founding principle of this country. Being
>in the minority not not always fun but it happens and the only
>alternative is to convince the majority to switch sides. My objection is
>that the decision here was based on pressure from those that have no
>stake rather then letting the employees effected decide. That rankles
>and I am amazed that some here are putting their ideology first and
>cannot see the potential danger of this kind of thinking. What is the
>difference between this and the dopey decisions we all complain about
>based on PC?

I believe that what is at issue is the whole issue of
assimilation.  America was never supposed to be a "multi-cultural
society".  When we allow people to opt out of national observances
and replace them with imported observances, then they are moving away
from assimilation and toward fragmentation.

As before, if the employer allows the employees a floating personal
holiday and they choose to take it on a certain day that is important
to them because of their foreign cultural background, I can't really
argue, but to take a national observance off the calendar is, in my
opinion a mistake.  Tyson, and other employers should understand that
they, and everyone else have a stake in Americanizing immigrant
populations as quickly as possible.

In part, because of the above I support that idea that the government
has the right to require all radio, television, newspapers, etc.
publish only in English.  This does not effect the content, but only
the language in which the content is presented.  As the Supreme Court
has said that it is proper to regulate the time, place and manner of
speech, here we regulate the manner in the form of the language.

100 years ago people came to the US and wanted to become
Americans.  They joined in our holidays, learned the language, and
made certain that their children were proud to be here.  Now, we see
too many who don't want to.  My one major criticism of my own wife is
that after having lived in the US for over 25 years, she still speaks
English that is shockingly bad on occasion.  The reason why is
because she did her best not to learn any more than she needed to
"get along" for so much of that time, and she spoke Vietnamese with
most of her co-workers and at home.  It also kept her away from much
of the mainstream of society.

In contrast, my Mother came from Germany to England in 1939, not
knowing more than a few words of English.  She learned it, I expect
with a British Accent.  By 1960 when I was 4 years old, she didn't
have a trace of an accent and her grammar was perfect.  She learned
because she wanted to and had to.  No one was going to make
allowances for her here or across the pond.  It worked then and it
will work now.

The slippery slope we should be concerned about is Balkanization of
our society through failure to maintain our culture.

Steve Laib