Talking Points

Tue Aug 14 22:00:43 MDT 2001

Talking Points: Jesse Jackson

Tuesday, August 14, 2001
By Bill O'Reilly

 Email this Article
Jesse Jackson is back and that is the subject of this evening's Talking
Points memo.
After months of lying low because of a sex scandal and questions about
his finances, Jackson has completed a stunning deal with the Toyota
Corporation that is worth $8 billion over the next 10 years, money that
will be used to expand opportunities for minorities in the automotive
business.
Right now, 4.6% of Toyota dealerships in America are minority owned.
That is slightly above the national average.  The $8 billion will be used
 to train minorities and improve that ownership figure.  Money will also
be  spent on a variety of other programs designed to employ more
minorities and  promote sensitive marketing and advertising campaigns.
Jackson won this victory after threatening a boycott of Toyota, which
opened the door of charges of racial insensitivity by running a series of
 advertisements, featuring tooth art, which is in vogue among some
blacks.   Jackson called the ads stereotypes and said the only thing
missing is the watermelon
The Toyota Corporation was clearly intimidated by Jackson's power.   And
for some black Americans, that's a very good thing, with billions
earmarked for minority projects in development.  Obviously, there's a
great  benefit to be had by some, which makes it very difficult to
criticize  Jackson's methods.
He has shrewdly pulled off a big win for black people, but if history  is
any indicator, Jackson will also benefit by contributions from the
minority concerns that Toyota hires.  That'll be difficult to ascertain
as  the back-end of the Reverend's deals are always shrouded in secrecy.
Talking Points has to admire Jackson's tenacity and his ability to cower
corporate and governmental America.  There is no question that  Toyota's
minority record was mediocre at best.  So, you can't really defend  them.
 And by providing opportunity for blacks, it is difficult to fault
Jackson.
If only the government would do its job here and watch the money that
flows into Jackson's nonprofit empire, but the government will not do its
 job and Jackson himself is defiant.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
JESSE JACKSON, RAINBOW/PUSH COALITION:  I have faith in one of the
entities.  Though most of my work is because I choose to do it.  And
whenever there's time to file taxes, I always do. These questions are
always raised in some way to besmirch my character.  You're not asking
Mr.  Press, his salary, for example.  Both of us work and both of us get
paid.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
O'REILLY:  Well, James Press, the man Reverend Jackson referred to is
the CEO of Toyota.  And of course, there is no nonprofit money associated
 with Toyotas, thus Jackson's comparison is invalid.
So it is business as usual in the Jackson camp.  He continues to help
black Americans and he continues to do very well financially himself.
He's got the game down.  And that's the memo.
Most Ridiculous Item of the Day
Time now for the "Most Ridiculous Item of the Day."  Walter Cronkite has
weighed in on the Condit-Levy situation, saying that Dan  Rather went
overboard ignoring the story.  Uncle Walter told an NBC reporter that
providing just the facts in the case is appropriate, and Mr.  Rather
should have done that instead of not mentioning the story.
Ridiculous?  Well, you make the call on that.