Voting for the Supreme Court? No Way!!!

DeRobertis derobert at MAIL.EROLS.COM
Wed Jan 10 22:53:12 MST 1996

>>And remember that the legislative power of the United States is vested
>>in one Supreme Court, who's officials shall not be elected, because We
>>The People of The United States are stupid fools and do not under-
>>stand.
>
>    Firstly: I realize you're being sarcastic, but -- next time you
>want to refer to the people of this country as stupid fools, please,
>speak for yourself.
>
>    Secondly: Think of the current state of election affairs, & then
>apply that to Supreme Court Justices. Because they are national, they
>would have to be elected the same way the President is -- yee Gods,
>what a nightmare. Imagine the Supreme Court Justices spending all of
>their time campaigning for re-election -- or, perhaps, we're going to
>have term limits for THEM, too? I shudder to think of the chaos that
>would envelope our already silly justice system.

If they get the legislative power of the US, then we should get to vote for
them.

>    Thirdly: The Founders of this country KNEW all this; that's why
>they wrote the Constitution the way they did. The concept of forcing
>Supreme Court justices to run for re-election every few years is fine
>pseudo-conservative rhetoric, but that's all it is -- rhetoric, serv-
>ing no useful purpose whatsoever.
>
>    Lastly: Only those who fail to understand our governmental system
>would think that all legislative power is vested in the Supreme Court.
>The Court's charter is to ensure that all laws passed within this na-
>tion are cosistent with the Constitution. That's exactly why the writ-
>ers of the Constitution set up the system the way they did -- it's
>called "the system of checks & balances". Again, the concept of "leg-
>islating from the bench" is fine pseudo-conservative rhetoric, but
>that's all it is -- a bunch of hot air, signifying nothing at all.

Constitutionally the Congress has the legislative power. However, the
Judicial Branch has certainly taken a lot of law-making into it's own
hands. Just look at all the stuff they have done. Anyway "the legislative
power of the United States is vested in one Supreme Court" is just an over
exageration of this, you could call it a joke too. It is not a serious
legal statement. Now all I need is the standard disclaimer.

--Anthony        And remember that the legislative power of the United States